Tips for Machupicchu
RECOMENDATIONS FOR YOUR TRIP TO MACHU PICCHU
It is advisable to travel to Machu Picchu in the dry season that is from April to October. If you go in the rainy season, which is from November to March, take into account the climatic conditions that may vary. When arriving at Cusco it is important that at least you rest about 2 hours so that your body adapts to the height. You can even take advantage of and visit places near the place such as the Cathedral, San Blas Church, Plaza de Armas, Stone of 12 angles, among others.
When is the best time to visit Machu Picchu?
The best season is during the dry season, which covers the months April to the end of September. In October the rains begin and you can find Machu Picchu covered by clouds. If you travel in June, we recommend you to book the Inti Raymi 2022 Tour that takes place in June 24th, and also hike the Palcoyo Mountain Tour, which is an incredible Rainbow Mountain located in the Andes.
How is the tour to Machu Picchu?
The tour starts early, you have to consider that from Cusco you have to travel by land (bus or private car) to the train station:
- Poroy Station (distance of 20 minutes from Cusco) or
Station of Ollantaytambo (distance of 1 hour 45 from Cusco)
Once you are at one of the stations, you will just take the train that goes to Machu Picchu. Keep in mind that all services and trains to Machu Picchu are not the same and there is a lot of difference in the categories of them. The train journey lasts approximately 4 hours and will depend on what kind of train trip (tourist, first class or luxury). Once at the Aguas Calientes station, you will take the bus that will take you to the entrance of the majestic citadel of Machu Picchu.
The guided tour lasts all day starting in Cusco and includes transfers from the city of Cusco, trains, bus up and down, guided tour of the citadel and lunch buffet.
If you wish, you can also stay overnight at a hotel in Machu Picchu village and enjoy the thermal baths.
How are Aguas Calientes or Machu Picchu Pueblo?
It is the town that is below the citadel of Machu Picchu. The train service arrives there and has services such as wineries / shops, markets, restaurants and hotels to stay.
To climb to the citadel of Machu Picchu you can do it walking but it is recommended to have a good physical condition and in a conventional way can opt with the bus service (Return and/or Return 30 minutes approximately for each trip).
Other ways to reach the citadel of Machupicchu
- Inca Trail : to carry out this trekking it is necessary to hire an authorized travel agency and have a good physical condition. The duration is 4 days / 3 nights. This trekking is the traditional Inca trail and is highly quoted by tourists so it is advisable to make reservations well in advance as the spaces are limited and if it is high season much worse.
- Trekking Salkantay or Salkantay Trek. This circuit ends in Aguas Calientes, from there you climb up to Machupicchu. There are several agencies that offer it. You need to be in good physical shape. This trekking is considered an alternative in case there is no availability in the traditional Inca trail.
- By train by the classic route: Cusco – Machu Picchu Pueblo.
- By the alternative route Santa Teresa. This route is by bus and train. It takes more days and is advisable for those who like adventure, you also get to Machupicchu Pueblo and from there you climb up to Machu Picchu.
What is Huayna Picchu?
Next to Machu Picchu is located the so called Huayna Picchu (it is the hill where the photos of Machu Picchu are taken) is very dangerous and should only be uploaded by people with experience and climbing. Anyone wishing to upload it will have them sign an act in which no one is responsible if something happens because of the high danger and very difficult access of the area.
Quotas are limited and during the day there are only 2 scheduled departures that take place in the mornings. You can buy the ticket along with the entrance to Machu Picchu. It is not sold separately. To visit the Huayna Picchu it is advisable to spend the night in Aguas Calientes to have enough time to make the excursions.